Dillon's Dialogue

You are spirit filled believers that call upon His name for comfort, peace, hope, and healing. "...But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." I Corinthians 15:57

Friday, March 02, 2007

Update from Elaine

Kate has described Thursday as "a little better than Wednesday". Considering the fact that Kate's day started and ended with nausea and vomiting, I think you'll understand when I say my daughter's spirit and attitude amaze me and all the medical staff who care for her. I'm so proud of her, and wonder if I would be able to walk the road she is walking with even half the grace she does.

As always there is still cause for praise. The middle of Kate's day was good as she was once again able to focus on school work and complete her letter of intent for her senior project. We enjoyed relaxing and watching a movie through the supper hour. It was early evening when the nausea and vomiting hit her again.

As she sleeps now she is receiving another transfusion of platelets. Last night's transfusion carried her through the day, but she dropped again by supper time as evidenced in another nose bleed.

~Please pray for the nausea and vomiting to end. As with the last stem cell procedure, Kate's nausea and vomiting started further out like this, rather than in closer proximity to when she received chemo. From the beginning of this journey in 2004, the doctors have said, Kate seldom does anything according to text book. In some cases that's been good, but she sure keeps the doctors on their toes:)
~The diarrhea continues and that's wearisome. We are told we probably won't see an improvement in the diarrhea until counts begin to turn around. Today WBC's were .1 - you can't get much lower than that, so we hope to see counts begin to move upwards in the next couple of days. Pray that the upward trend in counts will begin sooner rather than later.
~Please ask for a good night's rest for both of us. Last night nausea and vomiting woke Kate at 4:00 am.
~Please ask that God will continue to pour His strength into me, so that I can be strong emotionally, physically and spiritually for Kate and Maggie. The journey at times is wearisome. It's hard to be away from Maggie and not be a daily part of her life. It's hard to watch Kate endure all that goes with cancer. While there are many days when peace fills my heart and it is easy to walk in faith and God's strength, there are other days when tears and discouragement get the upper hand. It's on those days that I know God carries me and reaches out often through family and friends, to dry my tears and set me on my feet again.
I cling to the words of Isaiah 40:28-31
"Do you not know? Have you not heard? The Lord is the everlasting God, the creator of the ends of the earth. He will not grow tired or weary, and his understanding no one can fathom. He gives strength to the weary and increases the power of the weak. Even youth grow tired and weary, and young men stumble and fall; but those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint."

How grateful we are to be surrounded by your steadfast love and faithful prayers.

Carried by His grace,
Elaine

5 Comments:

  • At 8:41 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We feel the pain and heartache that you endure each day and wish we had some power to turn that around for you. We are praying that Kate's WBC's soar and your spirit with them.

     
  • At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Please know that we often remember you as a Challenge staff and as a family. We love you all.

    Brian Sturm

     
  • At 3:22 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Elaine, You are such an inspiration to me as a "Mom." Thank you for taking your time to write - I know it's not always easy. We continue to pray. Susan

     
  • At 7:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Amazing Grace is what you are. You are held in the very palm of HIS hand and I do pray for you to feel PEACE and CALM in the storm. Heavenly Father bless them with rest. I love you and I miss you, I am there in Sprit.

    Patti

     
  • At 8:14 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "Though the mountains be shaken and the hills be removed, yet my unfailing love for you will not be shaken nor my covenant of peace be removed", says the Lord who has compassion on you." Isa. 54:10
    May you both rest in HIS great LOVE for you today, and allow HIM to carry you! Peace and strength, lp

     

Post a Comment

<< Home