Dillon's Dialogue

You are spirit filled believers that call upon His name for comfort, peace, hope, and healing. "...But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." I Corinthians 15:57

Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Update from Elaine

Monday has not been the best of days. Kate has officially moved into fever range and the diarrhea has continued. The doctors started her on antibiotics and a stool culture has been sent to the labs. It will take 24 hours to determine what kind of bacteria we are fighting this time.
Kate has had more than enough for one day:
-Her morning started with a run of potassium as that level was low.
-Her hemoglobin had also dropped and she was feeling wiped out so she received her first unit of RBC's early afternoon.
-In between times her nose started bleeding and just kept up a continuous drip, so she then received a transfusion of platelets.
-She finished the day with her second bag of RBC's.
Fortunately, she slept through much of the day. The anti-nausea medicine she received this morning caused her to sleep pretty much until lunch time. Prior to the transfusions of blood products she received benedryl, which also knocks her out.
I am grateful for our special friends at the hospital who came and visited with Kate and checked in on her while I left for the afternoon viewing for my Grandmother. Tomorrow when I leave to go to the funeral one of Kate's best friends will come and keep her company. We are blessed with an incredible support system and I am thankful to have friends and family who are always there for us and that we can call on at anytime.
Tonight, Kate just sat listlessly holding my hand. She said she felt so wiped out. My heart aches to see her like this. What a contrast to the last two weeks when she just oozed with life and energy. How I miss that sparkle in her eyes and smile. My prayer is that God will cradle her in His arms renewing her strength as she sleeps and that the blood products she received will refuel her depleted areas and her energy will increase.
It's on the tough days that I often find myself reflective...
Each day on this journey with Kate is amazing. She radiates an inner beauty and spirit that literally captures the hearts of all that know her. The courage, strength, determination, grace and depth of love she has for others can only come from the spirit of God within her. I am encouraged often by people telling me how Kate's story is touching lives. This cancer that Satan intended for evil, God is using for good.
A special and fun story...
Several months ago, our dear friend Bob wrote an email to contemporary Christian music artist, Chris Tomlin and shared Kate's story and her love of his music. Chris responded in a most gracious way by blessing Kate with a personal letter, T-shirt and signed CD. Needless, to say she was delighted.
Now the fun part...
Last week, from the hospital, Kate orchestrated a special surprise for my brother, her Uncle Kurt. Two years ago, Kurt introduced us to Chris Tomlin's music. Kate knew Kurt and his wife had tickets to Chris's concert last week. Kate sent an email to the artist liaison for Chris asking if it would be possible for her Uncle Kurt to meet Chris. Kate received a gracious email reply indicating that they would have back stage passes waiting for Kurt and his wife. Saying Kurt was surprised, is probably an understatement!
I can't tell you how much joy and excitement the planning and realization of this surprise for Kurt gave Kate.
The other thing I was reflecting on this evening is how our hearts and lives have been touched by so many people. There is that precious core group of friends and family that have been part of this journey since day one, always there, always constant. On this road we have also met many new people and feel incredibly blessed by the new friendships and relationships that have grown out of this journey. It has also been very special to me to be reconnected with friends from earlier chapters of my life. I have received letters, emails, and blog messages from people that I have lost touch with over the years. My heart has been so deeply touched by friends from high school, college, and my teaching days in Maryland, who have reached out across the years and miles to journey this road with us. What an incredible gift God has given us in friends, family, new and renewed relationships.
I started writing this email feeling teary and discouraged. How gracious of God to use a time of reflection to lift my heart and your prayers to carry us through this day. His love is unfailing!
Held by His arms of grace,
Elaine

8 Comments:

  • At 9:20 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We're thankful for YOUR "unfailing" strength and goodness. We're praying that God will cradle all of you through these next days.

     
  • At 1:08 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Hi Elaine!
    I have been praying for Kate hard for the past few days (more than normal :-) and wanted you to know that there are many people here in Georgia that are lifting you up as well. I miss you but you guys are never far from my thoughts and prayers.
    Love and a BIG PEACH hug,
    Rachel P.
    John 14:27

     
  • At 4:51 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Your positive attitudes are an inspiration to me.
    Keep the faith,
    Terri

     
  • At 6:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "This too shall pass" for you dear Kate. Keep that memory of how great you felt but a few weeks ago and realize it will come again. Elaine you must remember that you are Kate's safety net that allows her to fall safely and be caught in your arms. Your faith in God will get you through this one second at a time.
    I love you,
    PB

     
  • At 7:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    May God bless Kate and help her fightthis infection which is invading her body. May God continue to heal her and make her stronger each and every day. May God bless Maggie and help her keep the strength to get through these days and to remain happy. May God Bless Elaine and give her the strength to get through these rough days. God will continue to make all things better.

     
  • At 9:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Our Lord Jesus said "...all that you ask for in prayer, believe you will receive it, and it shall be yours." (Mark 11:24)
    You are always in my thoughts and prayers....KEEP CLINGING....
    Love...DM

     
  • At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh Elaine, my heart bleeds for you and Kate right now. I am praying that when you wake up to start a new day God would give you the grace to believe that He will heal Kate from infection and encourage her heart in the midst of weakness. I love you all and send squeezes to you, jen

     
  • At 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    "When you pass through the waters, I will be with you, and through the rivers, they shall not overflow you. When you walk through the fire, you shall not be burned, nor shall the flame scorch you. For I AM THE LORD YOUR GOD, The Holy One of Israel, YOUR SAVIOR." Isa. 43:2-3
    Rest in His Arms today!!! He is holding on to you both and will never let you go!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home