Dillon's Dialogue

You are spirit filled believers that call upon His name for comfort, peace, hope, and healing. "...But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." I Corinthians 15:57

Tuesday, January 30, 2007

There's no place like HOME !!!

I'm so excited to be writing you from home. Yes, we finally made it home! Kate was discharged on Sunday and we arrived home at lunch time. Home never looked so good:) Again, I am incredibly grateful to the "merry maids of mercy" who gave the house such a good cleaning, I don't think a germ could have survived. I am grateful to my Mom who has prepared supper yesterday and today. All Kate has to do is share her special request for something she's hungry for and Grammie is right on it:) Pappy wonders why his meal requests don't get such an immediate response:)

Praise: Kate has done very well eating since we've been home. She says some things still don't have much taste. We're extremely thankful that with the exception of her breakfast this morning, all Kate's meals have stayed down, since returning home.

Kate hopes to get started with some of her school work this week. How thankful we are for the teachers and staff at Riverside and their willingness to work with Kate at home during this time.

It's been good to be together again as a family in our home. Grace seems to have grown while we were gone, but did not out grow her love for chewing things she shouldn't:( Maggie has been such a willing helper and is my assistant nurse. The home health nurse visited and taught me how to set up for the IV antibiotic and then the fluids that Kate receives through the night. I think I'm getting a little smoother and gaining a little speed each time:) Kate will only be on the antibiotic until Feb. 1st and if she keeps doing well eating and drinking, I don't imagine they'll keep her on the fluids too long. We have a check up at the clinic on Thursday morning and they'll do labs and make sure her counts and levels are all ok.

The play "Joseph's Amazing Technicolor Dream Coat" is only a few weeks away. Maggie will have a dress rehearsal this week. I'm glad she's had this opportunity and I can't wait to see her on stage! Both Kate and Maggie are disappointed that Kate's next admission will prevent her from being able to go the play. We'll just have to plan a girls' movie night after Kate is at home and watch it together on DVD.

Request: Please pray that Kate will be recharged physically, emotionally, and spiritually during these two weeks before the next chemo and second stem cell rescue.

With all that her immune system has been through Kate must still be very careful when it comes to germs and bacteria. She must avoid crowds. She must wear a mask if she goes out. During this time of the stem cell rescues she is also not allowed to eat out. She can however enjoy normal things like friends visiting, home cooked meals, and trips to the mall during non-peak hours. While there are some restrictions and careful attention to things like hand washing and food preparation, being at home even after just one day, has done wonders for renewing us already!

Thank you for continuing to stand beside us in this journey. I came home to 80 emails sent during the three weeks we were at the hospital. (I could not access my email at the hospital.) My heart was touched and encouraged last night as I read your messages and words of encouragement as you walked each day of the three weeks beside us. I will be update the blog later this week perhaps after Kate's check up. In the meantime, I am going to work on catching up on my rest, and enjoy doing normal mom things like sewing ribbons on toe shoes and running Maggie to ballet, cooking meals and savoring each day for the gift that it is!

Resting in grace,
Elaine

4 Comments:

  • At 1:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Rest you need? Rest it is, I say! For the three Dillon ladies:

    Psalm 62:1-2
    My soul finds rest in God alone;
    my salvation comes from him.
    He alone is my rock and my salvation; he is my fortress, I will never be shaken.

     
  • At 1:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm so happy you are home. Thank God for HOME! Thank God for clean dogs that have had a bath and thank God for little sisters who give said dog the bath!!! Now, rest and have fun. Susan

     
  • At 4:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    The power of prayer is awesome!! Glad to hear that
    you are home and reunited with Maggie and Grace.
    Try to rest and enjoy each other. That goes for you too Elaine. Hope you know that you are thought of each and every day. Brandon and Austin always add your name to their daily prayers. We love you!
    Aunt Diane and family

     
  • At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    We are very happy & thankful you're home!! We're praying that every day brings comfort and strength to all of you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home