Dillon's Dialogue

You are spirit filled believers that call upon His name for comfort, peace, hope, and healing. "...But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ." I Corinthians 15:57

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Update from Elaine

Today has been a rather tedious day, tweaking Kate's various medications in an attempt to treat the bacterial infection, yet counter the allergic reactions. The rash has increased and spread from Kate's trunk to her limbs as well. We changed one antibiotic assuming the rash is an allergic reaction, but added another antibiotic was today in case the rash could be related to the bacterial infection. The discomfort from the mouth sores has continued to increase as anticipated. Today Kate's morphine was increased to help the pain. With the increase Kate's rash began itching - which can evidently happen with morphine use. This necessitated still another change in medication - this time to a new pain medication. The doctors also reached the decision to give Kate a push button machine which will dispense the new pain medication up to every 10 min, if Kate feels the need for it that frequently.

With the increase of pain medication today, Kate experienced intermittent disorientation.
One minute she would be talking and making perfect sense and the next she was talking about something totally out of left field. After a good three hour visit with Maggie today where the two of them sat side by side watching a movie, Kate later in the afternoon asked me, Maggie was here today wasn't she? When I answered yes, Kate said, I thought so, but I didn't get to spend very much time with her. This disorientation always leaves me feeling a little uneasy but I have to remind myself that it is the medication talking.

While we are still trying to get control of the infection, the rash, and the mouth sore pain, the bright spot in the day that the doctor called our attention to was the fact that Kate's WBC count climbed from .02 yesterday to .05 today. The doctor said that might be the best piece of news for the day. In that this tells us the WBC production may be making its turn around and that in and of itself will be our best ally in fighting the infection. The WBC count may go up and down a bit as it gears back up for production, but it is our hope and prayer that indeed we are seeing the beginning of WBC turn around and production.

Today we were blessed by the love and care of special friends. My dear friend, who my girls fondly refer to as Mrs. B., who loves the Dillon girls as if they were her own, brought Maggie to visit and treated us to a delicious Chinese lunch (Maggie's choice). Kate's friend Brandon's parents took me out to supper tonight. I don't like leaving Kate, but I am often reminded by family and friends and even Kate today said, that I need to take care of myself too. I must admit it is good to get outside in the fresh air and walk to a restaurant and be distracted for an hour or so in the good company of friends.

My heart's cry is that we will soon see a turn around in the way Kate is feeling and that we will get Kate to the point of health and strength that we can have a few days reprieve at home with Maggie and Grace, in our own comfortable beds before it is time for the next admission.
God's grace and your prayers are definitely carrying us through these long days. But how thankful we are that in God's perfect timing we were still here in the hospital when the symptoms began pointing to the infection.

Carried by grace,
Elaine

4 Comments:

  • At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    You're in our thoughts and prayers. You are an awesome Mom raising 2 great kids. Keep up the positive attitude and we hope to see you this week.
    Love,
    The Hunklers

     
  • At 10:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am constantly in prayer for you. My heart breaks just as the Father's heart breaks, but am quickly brought back to He is our Stregnth. May you feel His stregnth and peace today. He loves you!
    SK

     
  • At 2:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh girls--my heart so goes out to you in this hard time. Kate, keep fighting this, honey! I'm sure you're feeling miserable, but we're praying that you'll get to go home soon and rest up a bit! I love you, and you are always on my heart! Gail

     
  • At 5:55 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Our thoughts are still with you. We pray that your doctors & nurses recieve God's guidance in your care & we're thankful for the successes that are leading you back to health.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home